Friday, June 19, 2009

Summer's Lavendar

I have some growing in my small home garden. It feels so good. I love to rub my hands through it and then smell my hands… ahhh…

Lavender as an aromatherapy blends with so many different aromas, it can be used widely. In addition to its versatility and calming odor, did you know that it is also an analgesic, antidepressant, antiseptic, antiviral, cytophylactic (stimulates growth of healthy new skin cells), decongestant, hypotensive, nervine, and sedative?

Last month I was in the woods and was bit by an insect and noticed that in addition to the itch, it was inflamed and the tissue was hard. I asked Aliya Boozari, a massage student and also a clinical herbalist, if she could recommend something for this. She said lavender, witch hazel, and aloe. I had some lavender with me, so I used that, and within two minutes the itch was gone. By the time my class was over it was no longer inflamed. By the next day it was no longer hard. Wow. I never had to use the witch hazel or aloe. After this incident another student told me that her youngest child had poison ivy. She applied lavender. It cleared the rash right up.
A client told me that a friend of hers has been using lavender on her face since she was in high school. It helps with acne.

We grew up thinking that if a medicine was good for us, it had to be aesthetically displeasing. This is the exception to that rule!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dressing area

Dressing area
My new Space!